Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott

Now YA is my usual genre, though I normally go for paranormal stuff because I thought I found regular drama just a bit, well, regular.


How wrong was I.


I read book one "She's So Dead To Us" a few weeks back and thought...how could it end like that!? Well, you'd have to times that reaction by a hundred and to get an inkling of my reaction at the end of this book!


Now, it's not a bad ending - not at all. It sets up a really juicy third book for sure as you try to imagine how Ally, Jake, Hammond, Chloe, Annie and all the other Cresties and Norms are going to interact and behave after that final page bombshell :)


The reason I love this book, and this series, is that it is so realistic. These kids are not unexpectedly mature for their age, as often happens in paranormal YA. The author, Kieran Scott, portrays the flawed and responsibility-challenged thought processes and behaviour of the characters to total perfection.


I also find the chapter intro's, in this book Annie's observation journal entries (and in book one it was text conversations between unknown Norm students at Orchard Hill High), to be really clever and insightful - providing a sneaky third perspective on the story. I get the feeling Annie's going to play a big part in book 3, in particular her friendship with Ally.

Again I love being inside both Ally and Jake's head. I think Cooper, the guy Ally meets down at Long Bay Island, is a total douche-bag. All the characters are frustrating in their own ways, but act as typical 17 year olds do, which makes this very entertaining.



I'd recommend reading book one first because that sets the foundation for the relationship drama's in this book. I'm looking forward to reading book three to see where this goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment